Trade Certification for plumbers

Some info here direct from the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials… 

This piece is the one for plumbers…regarding trade certification for plumbers  but of course if you go directly to the website, you can enter your own profession/enquiry for foreign-trained plumbers

Plumbing, FTW

Plumbing, FTW (Photo credit: spierzchala)

(7251) Verified: 2011 09 15
Information on requirements to practise

Trade certification can be either compulsory or voluntary. To practice in trades where certification is compulsory, workers must generally be certified or registered as apprentices. In trades where certification is voluntary, certification and apprenticeship are often used to indicate the level of competency of the holder, but workers are not required to be registered or certified in order to practice. Red Seal Certification itself is never mandatory, except where indicated as such by jurisdictions in specific legislation. Once you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you should contact the appropriate provincial/territorial office (see list below) for further information about licensing or certification.
You may confirm that the trade indicated in the title has been designated as an Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Trade on that Web site, for which all provinces and territories (except the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec and the Yukon) have jointly agreed on certification standards. In these trades, apprentices who have completed their training and certified journeypersons, holders of provincial or territorial Certificates of Qualification, can apply to write an Interprovincial Standards Examination; if successful, they receive a distinctive “Red Seal” to affix to their Certificate of Qualification.
The Interprovincial Standards “Red Seal” Examinations are administered through the provincial and territorial apprenticeship and training or certification offices. Holders of a Red Seal Certificate are exempt from further examination when moving between participating provinces and territories. A Red Seal Certificate may be required by some employers as a condition for employment. To obtain more information about the Red Seal Certificate, contact:
Canadian Council of Directors of Apprenticeship (CCDA)
Red Seal Program / Programme du Sceau rouge
Gatineau QC K1A 0J9 Canada
Email :

Information on assessment of qualifications

The provincial/territorial authorities are not set up to assess foreign credentials prior to your arrival in Canada. However, you can contact them to obtain specific information about practising your trade in their jurisdiction.
If you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupationin Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, “Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada” and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.
Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:
Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

Up Arrow List of apprenticeship, training, and trade certification offices

Alberta – Apprenticeship and Industry Training
International and Provincial Assessment Services
10th Floor, Commerce Place, 10155 -102 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 4L5 Canada
Phone : (780) 427-8765
Fax : (780) 422-7376

Equivalency Program
British Columbia

Industry Training Authority (ITA)
ITA Customer Service
Suite 110, 2985 Virtual Way
Vancouver BC V5M 4X7
Phone : (778) 328-8700
Phone (alternate): 1-866-660-6011
Fax : (778) 328-8701
Email :

Opportunities for immigrants

Manitoba – Entrepreneurship, Training and Trade
1010 – 401 York Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3C 0P8 Canada
Phone : 204-945-3337
Phone (alternate): 1-877-978-7233
Fax : 204-948-2346
Email :

Permits, Licences and Renewals
New Brunswick

New Brunswick – Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, Apprenticeship and Certification
P.O. Box 6000
470 York Street, Room 100
Fredericton NB E3B 5H1 Canada
Phone : (506) 453-2260
Phone (alternate): 1-877-453-3030
Fax : (506) 453-5317
Email :

Mobility / Recognition of Credentials
Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland & Labrador – Department of Education, Apprenticeship and Certification
Confederation Bldg., West Block, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s NL A1B 4J6 Canada
Phone : (709) 729-2729
Phone (alternate): 1-877-771-3737
Fax : (709) 729-5878
Email :

Northwest Territories

Northwest Territories – Education, Culture and Employment: Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
P.O. Box 1320
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Phone : (867) 873-7552
Fax : (867) 873-0200
Email :

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia – Department of Labour and Workforce Development, Apprenticeship Training and Skill Development Division
2021 Brunswick Street, Suite 402, P.O. Box 578
Halifax NS B3J 2S9
Phone : (902) 424-5651
Phone (alternate): 1-800-494-5651
Fax : (902) 424-0717
Email :

Credential Recognition

Nunavut – Department of Education, Adult Learning and Post-Secondary Services
Apprenticeship, Trades and Certification
PO Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit NU X0A 0H0 Canada
Phone : (867) 975-5658
Fax : (867) 975-5605
Email :


Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Employment Ontario
Regional Apprenticeship Offices/Centres d’apprentissage régionaux
Toronto ON M7A 2S3 Canada
Phone : 1-800-387-5656 (Ontario)
Email :

Mel McCartney, R.N. BSc. Hons
Licensed in BC and Alberta
Sotheby’s International Realty Canada

Enhanced by Zemanta

Speak Your Mind