Corrie and Hats


Had to share this with all my Brits in Calgary followers (some have seen on my personal page last week )… but bumped in to these two lads last Sunday, at the Calgary Arts hotel… they were super nice and ‘enjoying’ Calgary/western Canada , doing a tour of ‘questions and answers for Corrie fans :) and quick shout out and huge THANKS to Vicky Winder, one of our fellow brits here in Calgary, who made this fabulous hat for me (message me if any interested/wants details of her Esty store, or more details )

Alberta Health Care

"Health Advice" button

Alberta health care insurance plan:


When arriving in Alberta one of the first things you should do is apply for the Alberta Health Insurance plan. The Alberta health insurance plan covers most basic health-care services such as doctor visits, xrays, hospital etc. 

When applying for Alberta health Insurance you need to provide one of the following documentation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada along with identification such as your birth certificate or passport:

  •  Confirmation of permanent residence 
  •  Permanent Resident Card
  • Active work (minimum 6 months), study* or visitor* permit for Alberta

*Not all Alberta permits qualify the permit holder for health care insurance coverage in Alberta.

NOTE: All applicants must intend to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months.

For Alberta Health documentation requirements: 


For application and brochures for Alberta health care insurance plan: 


You can register for Alberta health Insurance plan at authorized registry agents across the province. Here is a link to the registered Agents: 


It is also recommended that you obtain private insurance when you arrive as there might be a waiting period before getting your health coverage. You also have to register for a family doctor but if you need a doctor before that you always use a walk-in clinic. Every time you visit a doctor or a specialist you will need to show them your health card. To look for updated lists of available GP’s call 1-866-408-5465 (LINK) or visit this website: 


Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) does not cover everything, e.g. prescriptions, eye exams, ambulance services, dental care etc. So it is recommended to get private SUPPLEMENTARY health insurance. A lot of the bigger companies provide health benefits for full time employees or you can apply for supplementary insurance for yourself and family from Alberta Blue Cross.

Alberta Blue cross is an affordable health care benefits carrier that will cover just about every type of health benefit, including prescription drugs, dental, vision care, preferred hospital accommodation, emergency medical travel, ambulance, home nursing and chiropractor, as well as life insurance and short and long term disability coverage for group plan members.


Here is a link for the Alberta Blue cross: 

Income Tax

TaxWhen you come to Canada you do have to file a yearly income tax return.  It is under the Income Tax Act that you file a income tax return for a year in which you have tax payable. Even if you have taxes withheld from your employer or you exceed the amount of tax you owe.

Here is an article from the Canada Revenue Agency for newcomers to Canada:

The following information applies only for the first tax year that you are a new resident of Canada for income tax purposes. After your first tax year in Canada, you are no longer considered a newcomer for income tax purposes.

If you immigrate to Canada, we consider you to have acquired (deemed acquisition) almost all your properties at fair market value on the day you immigrated. If you are re-establishing Canadian residency and you had a deemed disposition when you left Canada, see Dispositions of property.

Are you a newcomer to Canada?

You become a resident of Canada for income tax purposes when you establish significant residential ties in Canada. You usually establish these ties on the date you arrive in Canada.

Newcomers to Canada who have established residential ties with Canada may be:

  • persons in need of protection;
  • people who have applied for or received permanent resident status from Citizenship and Immigration Canada; or
  • people who have received “approval-in-principle” from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to stay in Canada.

If you were a resident of Canada in an earlier year, and you are now a non-resident, you will be considered a Canadian resident for income tax purposes when you move back to Canada and re-establish your residential ties.

What are residential ties?

Residential ties in Canada include:

  • a home in Canada;
  • a spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) and dependants who move to Canada to live with you;
  • personal property, such as a car or furniture; and
  • social ties in Canada.

Other ties that may be relevant include:

  • a Canadian driver’s licence;
  • Canadian bank accounts or credit cards; and
  • health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.

For more information about residency status, see Residency – Individuals or Interpretation Bulletin IT-221, Determination of an Individual’s Residence Status.

If you want an opinion about your residency status, complete and submit Form NR74, Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada).

Your tax obligations

Do you have to file?

As a resident of Canada for income tax purposes for part or all of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you must file a tax return if you:

  • owe tax; or
  • want to request a refund.

Even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you may be eligible for certain payments or credits. In order to receive the following payments or credits, you must file an income tax return.

For more information, see “Do you have to file a return?” in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide.

Which tax package?

As a newcomer to Canada, you should be aware that most individuals who reside in Canada file only one income tax return for the tax year, because the Canadian government collects taxes on behalf of all provinces and territories except the Province of Quebec.

For the tax year that you are a newcomer to Canada and for each tax year that you continue to be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes, use the General Income Tax and Benefit Package for the province or territory where you resided on December 31 of the tax year.

  • It is important to use the forms book for your province or territory because tax rates and tax credits are different in each province and territory.
  • If you live in the province of Quebec, you may need to file a separate provincial income tax return. For information about your provincial tax liability, contact Revenu Québec.

Filing due date

Generally, your income tax return has to be filed on or before:

  • April 30 of the year after the tax year; or
  • if you or your spouse or common-law partner carried on a business in Canada (other than a business whose expenditures are mainly in connection with a tax shelter), the return must be filed on or before June 15 of the year after the tax year.


A balance of tax owing must be paid on or before April 30 of the year after the tax year, regardless of the due date of the tax return.

What income must you report?

For the part of the tax year that you were not a resident of Canada

You pay Canadian income tax on Canadian source income.

For the part of the tax year that you were a resident of Canada

You have to report your world income (income from all sources, both inside and outside Canada) earned after becoming a resident of Canada for income tax purposes on your Canadian tax return.

For more information about income you have to report and credits you can ask for as a newcomer to Canada, see Pamphlet T4055, Newcomers to Canada.

Entitlement to benefits and credits

As a newcomer to Canada, you may be eligible for the goods and services/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit, the Canada child tax benefit (CCTB), and the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) payments in the year you became a resident of Canada.

Trade Certification for plumbers

Some info here direct from the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials… 

This piece is the one for plumbers…regarding trade certification for plumbers  but of course if you go directly to the website, you can enter your own profession/enquiry for foreign-trained plumbers

Plumbing, FTW

Plumbing, FTW (Photo credit: spierzchala)

(7251) Verified: 2011 09 15
Information on requirements to practise

Trade certification can be either compulsory or voluntary. To practice in trades where certification is compulsory, workers must generally be certified or registered as apprentices. In trades where certification is voluntary, certification and apprenticeship are often used to indicate the level of competency of the holder, but workers are not required to be registered or certified in order to practice. Red Seal Certification itself is never mandatory, except where indicated as such by jurisdictions in specific legislation. Once you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you should contact the appropriate provincial/territorial office (see list below) for further information about licensing or certification.
You may confirm that the trade indicated in the title has been designated as an Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Trade on that Web site, for which all provinces and territories (except the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec and the Yukon) have jointly agreed on certification standards. In these trades, apprentices who have completed their training and certified journeypersons, holders of provincial or territorial Certificates of Qualification, can apply to write an Interprovincial Standards Examination; if successful, they receive a distinctive “Red Seal” to affix to their Certificate of Qualification.
The Interprovincial Standards “Red Seal” Examinations are administered through the provincial and territorial apprenticeship and training or certification offices. Holders of a Red Seal Certificate are exempt from further examination when moving between participating provinces and territories. A Red Seal Certificate may be required by some employers as a condition for employment. To obtain more information about the Red Seal Certificate, contact:
Canadian Council of Directors of Apprenticeship (CCDA)
Red Seal Program / Programme du Sceau rouge
Gatineau QC K1A 0J9 Canada
Email :

Information on assessment of qualifications

The provincial/territorial authorities are not set up to assess foreign credentials prior to your arrival in Canada. However, you can contact them to obtain specific information about practising your trade in their jurisdiction.
If you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupationin Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, “Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada” and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.
Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:
Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

Up Arrow List of apprenticeship, training, and trade certification offices

Alberta – Apprenticeship and Industry Training
International and Provincial Assessment Services
10th Floor, Commerce Place, 10155 -102 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 4L5 Canada
Phone : (780) 427-8765
Fax : (780) 422-7376

Equivalency Program
British Columbia

Industry Training Authority (ITA)
ITA Customer Service
Suite 110, 2985 Virtual Way
Vancouver BC V5M 4X7
Phone : (778) 328-8700
Phone (alternate): 1-866-660-6011
Fax : (778) 328-8701
Email :

Opportunities for immigrants

Manitoba – Entrepreneurship, Training and Trade
1010 – 401 York Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3C 0P8 Canada
Phone : 204-945-3337
Phone (alternate): 1-877-978-7233
Fax : 204-948-2346
Email :

Permits, Licences and Renewals
New Brunswick

New Brunswick – Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, Apprenticeship and Certification
P.O. Box 6000
470 York Street, Room 100
Fredericton NB E3B 5H1 Canada
Phone : (506) 453-2260
Phone (alternate): 1-877-453-3030
Fax : (506) 453-5317
Email :

Mobility / Recognition of Credentials
Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland & Labrador – Department of Education, Apprenticeship and Certification
Confederation Bldg., West Block, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s NL A1B 4J6 Canada
Phone : (709) 729-2729
Phone (alternate): 1-877-771-3737
Fax : (709) 729-5878
Email :

Northwest Territories

Northwest Territories – Education, Culture and Employment: Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
P.O. Box 1320
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Phone : (867) 873-7552
Fax : (867) 873-0200
Email :

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia – Department of Labour and Workforce Development, Apprenticeship Training and Skill Development Division
2021 Brunswick Street, Suite 402, P.O. Box 578
Halifax NS B3J 2S9
Phone : (902) 424-5651
Phone (alternate): 1-800-494-5651
Fax : (902) 424-0717
Email :

Credential Recognition

Nunavut – Department of Education, Adult Learning and Post-Secondary Services
Apprenticeship, Trades and Certification
PO Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit NU X0A 0H0 Canada
Phone : (867) 975-5658
Fax : (867) 975-5605
Email :


Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Employment Ontario
Regional Apprenticeship Offices/Centres d’apprentissage régionaux
Toronto ON M7A 2S3 Canada
Phone : 1-800-387-5656 (Ontario)
Email :

Mel McCartney, R.N. BSc. Hons
Licensed in BC and Alberta
Sotheby’s International Realty Canada

Enhanced by Zemanta

What To Do In Calgary During Winter

Two rabbits in the snow-20c? -30? believe it or not Calgary in the winter can offer some incredible activities for you and your family. Winter is not a season to take lightly and yes it can be very cold and miserable if you are not prepared for the elements. If this is your first time experiencing winter here you will need to buy warm clothes and dress in layers. A typical day out in the winter at -20 degrees Celsius would mean you would require warm footwear (boots), snow pants and/or thermal underwear, two or three layers to protect your body (shirt, sweater, and jacket), a warm hat, and gloves or mittens.

For those who are not familiar with  Calgary it is a city that is located on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains at an elevation of 1100 metres (3500 feet) in southern Alberta. It’s northern  location and elevation affects the climate to a large degree. The winters here are very long and snow generally falls from October to May. Being on the eastern side of the mountains causes Calgary to be very dry, and the winters usually have less snow when compared to other parts of Canada. One amazing fact of the climate in Calgary are the Chinooks: These are warm winds that blow out of the Rockies that can cause a mid-winter day to warm up 30 degrees very suddenly. It breaks up the winter and this is unique to anywhere else in Canada. Variability is the key to understanding the climate in Calgary so be prepared.

Wondering what to do in Calgary during the winter? There are many fun activities you and your family can do while enjoying the winter. Among the activities you can include in your what to do in Calgary list are;

Sports Events - Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada with the Calgary Flames being the professional team located in the city and the Calgary hitmen are the junior team.  For ticket information to see the Calgary Flames: and for the Calgary hitmen: Also unlike soccer where the fans are separated, the fans all sit together at these events.

Skating, Skiing & Sledding Activities – Downhill skiing and snowboarding are fun activities with 4 major ski resorts within 1 to 2 hours driving distance from Calgary that include (Nakiska, Sunshine, Mt. Norquay, Lake Louise), and one smaller hill in Calgary (Canada Olympic Park – COP). Nakiska is a great hill to learn how to ski because it has a large beginner area, and COP is convenient and a good learners hill. Mt. Norquay also has tubing, which is a fun-filled experience riding down a hill in a rubber tube. Cross country skiing is another option and is available in the city at COP and many of the city’s parks.  Within 3 hours of driving you have world renowned resorts of kicking horse, Fernie and Panorama. Snow shoeing is an activity that is fun and has been present in Canada for hundreds of years. Kids also enjoy tobogganing (using a sledge) to slide down many local hills in the city. Ice skating is also available (indoor and outdoor) throughout Calgary. That is another great advantage if you live in a lake community (ask me) as they offer a lot of these activities.


Festivals and Activities

The Calgary Zoo has zoo lights during from the end of November to the start of January and features hot chocolate, fire pits, children’s activities and the display of 1.5 million twinkling lights. Santa also makes an appearance during Christmas.

The Calgary winter festival is an 11-day festival is held in early February to commemorate the 1988 Winter Olympics and all other winter activities. Music, entertainment, sports competitions, carnivals and children’s activities can all be found at the Calgary Winter Festival.

Calgary is an interesting and exciting city to visit all year round. It is packed with activities and events that will surely create memorable experience for your family and friends.

2014 Immigration Levels

Notice – Supplementary Information to the 2014 immigration levels plan

News from Citizenship and Immigration Canada:Welcome to Canada Sign, Toronto Pearson Int'l Airport

November 1, 2013 — In 2014, Canada will welcome between 240,000 and 265,000 new permanent residents who will contribute to the Canadian economy. The 2014 Immigration Levels Plan reinforces the Government of Canada’s commitment to jobs and economic growth. By increasing our immigration targets for 2014, we are working to address labour market needs and providing Canadian employers with the skilled workforce they need.Following the tabling of the 2013 Annual Report to Parliament on Immigration on October 28, 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is pleased to release details on its 2014 Immigration Levels Plan.

Image showing 2014 immigration levels plan by major category, described below
Text version: 2014 immigration levels plan by major category

Image showing 2014 immigration levels plan by major category: Economic (63.0% – 164 500), Family (26.1% – 68 000) and Humanitarian (10.9% – 28 400) classes.

Targeted 2014 numbers for each immigration program
Class Immigration program 2014 target
Economic classes Federal Skilled Workers (and Federal Skilled Trades) 47,300
Canadian Experience Class 15,000
Live-in Caregivers 17,500
Federal Business 6,000
Quebec Business 5,300
Quebec Skilled Workers 26,600
Provincial Nominees 46,800
Family class Spouses, Partners and Children (includes Public Policy) 48,000
Parents and Grandparents 20,000
Humanitarian class Protected Persons in Canada 7,500
Dependants Abroad 3,500
Government-Assisted Refugees 7,100
Visa Office Referred 500
Privately Sponsored Refugees 6,300
Public Policy – Federal Resettlement Assistance and Other 500
Humanitarian and Compassionate 3,000

2014 Levels Plan

261K Target (240K-265K)
Plan Type Low High Target
Economic Federal Skilled Workers (including Federal Skilled Trades) 41,500 47,800 47,300
Canadian Experience Class 14,000 15,000 15,000
Live-in Caregivers 14,400 17,500 17,500
Federal Business 6,000 7,400 6,000
Quebec Business 5,000 5,500 5,300
Quebec Skilled Workers 26,000 27,000 26,600
Provincial Nominees 44,500 47,000 46,800
Economic Total 151,400 167,200 164,500
Percentage Mix 63.1% 63.1% 63.0%
Family Spouses, Partners and Children (includes Public Policy) 45,000 48,000 48,000
Parents and Grandparents 18,000 20,000 20,000
Family Total 63,000 68,000 68,000
Percentage Mix 26.3% 25.7% 26.1%
Humanitarian Protected Persons in Canada 7,500 8,000 7,500
Dependants Abroad 3,500 4,000 3,500
Government-Assisted Refugees 6,900 7,200 7,100
Visa Office Referred 400 500 500
Privately Sponsored Refugees 4,500 6,500 6,300
Public Policy – Federal Resettlement Assistance 200 300 300
Public Policy – Other 100 200 200
Humanitarian and Compassionate 2,500 3,000 3,000
Humanitarian Total 25,600 29,700 28,400
Percentage Mix 10.7% 11.2% 10.9%
Permit Holders 0 100 100
OVERALL 240,000 265,000 261,000

A planning range is an estimate of the number of people CIC expects to admit each year, taking into account the differences in applicants’ behaviour both before applying and once they have received their visa (some applicants take longer than others to arrive in Canada from abroad after receiving their visa).

For each range, CIC also sets an admissions target. The work of CIC’s visa processing network is based on the admissions target so that admissions fall within the planning range. It is important to note that these are “planned” ranges and targets. Factors beyond CIC’s control can affect actual admission numbers, e.g. security issues that impact overseas processing.

photo by: Cohen.Canada

Federal skilled workers

Have your education assessed – Federal skilled workers

News from Citizenship and Immigration Canada:


Starting in May 2013, all people applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) of their completed foreign educational credentials.If you are only submitting a Canadian educational credential, you do not need to do this.

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a completed credential in Canada.

You must have such an assessment if you:

  • are a principal applicant, and
  • got your education outside Canada.

Your education must be assessed against Canadian standards by one of the organizations designated by CIC (below).

When you apply as a federal skilled worker with a foreign educational credential, an original ECA report must:

  • be included with your application along with proof of your foreign credential,
  • be issued on or after the date the organization was designated by CIC,
  • not be more than five years old on the date that CIC gets your application, and
  • show your credential is equal to a completed Canadian one.

If you do not submit this assessment when you apply, your application is not complete. We will not process it and will send it back to you.

These assessments are to help make sure we choose immigrants with the best possible chances of success in Canada. But, being assessed does not guarantee you will be employed in your field or at a certain level. Employers are not bound by the assessment.

If you plan to work in an occupation that is regulated in Canada, you should contact the regulatory authority in the province where you plan to live. They can give you important information about getting your license, including any steps you can take before you leave your home country.

photo by: Sean MacEntee


All Hallow’s Eve

Jack O'Lantern hell

Halloween in Canada and The United States is quite a big and fun celebration for both kids and adults.  In general people put a lot of effort to celebrate Halloween by decorating their homes and gardens  with  carved lit up pumpkins, constructing life-size replica graveyards or dungeons, fake cobwebs and spiders, huge blow up decorations and some people even make small haunted houses for kids to go through when trick or treating.  Kids dress up in Halloween costumes and go door to door trick or treating and fill up their bags with a lot of candy! Many places of work will allow and encourage you to dress up in a costume for the day.

There is also a ton of events in Calgary to the run up of Halloween for adults and kids to enjoy. They have boo in the Zoo, zombie walks, haunted houses, ghost tours, screamfests and many other events to enjoy.

Here is some safety tips for trick or treating from Health Canada:

  • Go trick or treating with your children each year until they are old enough to go with a friend.  When they are old enough, make sure they go with a friend or in a group, and know the routes they will be taking. You can also follow along at a distance to keep an eye on them.
  • Tell your children to walk, not run from house to house and to stay on the sidewalk or at the side of the road facing traffic. They should only cross the road at the corner and look both ways before crossing. If you are driving on Halloween, be aware of children, drive slowly and enter and exit driveways and alleyways with caution.
  • Give each child a flashlight to carry, to make them more visible to motorists and others.
  • Tell your children to stay in well-lit areas and only visit homes that have their outside lights turned on. Make sure they know never to go inside homes or cars.
  • Take a backpack along, to empty goodies into if the loot bag becomes too heavy.
  • Tell your children not to eat any goodies until you have looked them over. Throw out any treats that are not commercially wrapped, have loose or torn wrappers or have holes in the wrappers. If you suspect tampering with any of the treats, notify the police. Serve dinner before your children go out, so that they will be less tempted to eat goodies along the way.
  • Be cautious about giving children any treats that could be potential choking hazards. Some treats such as chewy candies, peanuts and hard candies could be a choking hazard.
  • Check toys or novelty items for small parts. If they do have small parts, do not let children under three years of age play with them.
  • You might want to consider an alternative to sugar-based treats, like sugarless gum. Stickers or multi-coloured pencils can be a nice replacement for traditional treats. Ask your children for suggestions.
  • For diabetic children, monitor the treats so that they fit into their specialized meal plan. Leftover treats can be traded with other children or given away. Treats may also cause severe side effects (adverse reactions) in children who have allergies or sensitivities.
photos by: Plutor & kevin dooley

News direct from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Canada - FED - Canada Immigration OfficerNews direct from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Press Release — October 21, 2013


Minister Alexander Expands Start-up Visa Program to Include Business Incubators

Toronto, October 21, 2013 — Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander announces a new visa stream to attract foreign entrepreneurs to Canada.

As part of our government’s focus on jobs, growth and long-term prosperity, it is critical for Canada to attract the best entrepreneurs and innovators from around the world,” said Alexander. “This new stream will partner Canada’s world class business incubators with immigrant entrepreneurs, driving economic growth and placing Canada ahead of its competitors in the global economy of the 21st century.

The launch of a new Business Incubator stream under the Start-up Visa (SUV) Program to recruit dynamic foreign entrepreneurs will complement existing venture capital and angel investor streams. It will attract early-stage and high growth businesses, and entrepreneurs who can contribute to a culture of innovation and commercialization in Canada.

Business incubators provide promising entrepreneurs with valuable mentorship, and help them to attract investors and grow their start-ups into sustainable businesses that can create jobs in Canada.

We are honoured to partner with Citizenship and Immigration Canada on this exciting new initiative,” said CABI President David McNamara. “Our mission is to help small businesses grow and succeed. Connecting immigrant entrepreneurs with Canada’s accredited business incubators will broaden our respective networks and bring us all to the next level. The possibilities are endless!

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will designate eligible business incubator programs in consultation with the Canadian Association of Business Incubation (CABI). The new stream will begin accepting applications on October 26, 2013.

Alexander also announced today that five additional Canadian venture capital funds will soon be designated as SUV partners. An updated list of all designated organizations will be made available on the CIC website as of October 26, 2013.

We are excited about the expansion of the Start-Up Visa and look forward to welcoming innovators through this program in the near future,” said Alexander.

The SUV is a five-year pilot program and is limited to no more than 2,750 applications per year. It is designed to attract high quality and select entrepreneurs who can advance the Government of Canada’s innovation agenda. In addition to standard admissibility requirements, SUV applicants must meet certain program eligibility criteria.


For further information (media only), please contact:

Kevin Menard
Minister’s Office
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Media Relations
Communications Branch
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Building a stronger Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) strengthens Canada’s economic, social and cultural prosperity, helping ensure Canadian safety and security while managing one of the largest and most generous immigration programs in the world.

What to do in Calgary

cow tower (a simple look at things)

Calgary is situated in the foothills and prairies just east of the beautiful renowned Rocky Mountains. There are so many wonderful opportunities for both indoor and outdoor fun in and around Calgary. Whether you enjoy strolling around the many pathways/parks in Calgary to skiing or golfing there is so much you can do to explore this beautiful city,  here is a list of some of the Calgary attractions:

Calgary tower:

Is a 191-metre free standing observation tower located in the heart of the downtown core which offers a 360 panoramic view of the city. It also has a glass bottom floor for all the thrill seekers and for a bird’s eye view to the street below. You also have the option to dine in one of the two restaurants they have.

Calgary Zoo:

The Calgary zoo is the 2nd largest zoo in Canada, located east of the city’s downtown. See over 1000 animals, botanical gardens and prehistoric dinosaur park. Experience the animals in their different exhibits in their most natural habitat possible. Note they offer different seasonal activities throughout the year, check their website for more information.

Telus Spark Science Centre:

The Telus World of Science is a brand new science museum located right next to the Calgary Zoo. It is a beautiful building which invites people of all ages to explore and learn through their different interactive exhibits, programs and educational presentations.

Devonian Gardens:

Is a large indoor botanical garden located in the downtown core shopping centre. It has over 10,000 shrubs and 550 trees to create this beautiful park. It offers ponds with water features and fish, seating all around and a children’s playground.

Heritage Park:

Heritage park is a historical village located on 127 acres of parkland on the banks of the Glenmore Reservoir along Calgary’s southwestern edge. As Canada’s largest living history museum by number of exhibits, it is one of the city’s most visited tourist attractions. It is mainly closed throughout the winter but does offer activities during Halloween and Christmas, check their website for more details.

Prince’s Island Park:

Prince’s Island Park has been recognized as an urban oasis and is an important contributor to the cultural and recreational quality of life for Calgarian’s. This is a beautiful park in downtown Calgary that holds many large events throughout the year including the Canada Day celebration and Calgary Folk Festival. It features picnic areas, playground, canoe access to the river, pathway and hiking trails and flower gardens. The Bow river pathway is accessible from the park on both sides of the Bow river and spans a total of 48km throughout the city.

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary:

Is a wildlife reserve that is home to almost 270 species of birds, located along the bow river in SE Calgary and boasts numerous nature trails and on-site Nature Centre for exhibits and information on the sanctuary. There is no entrance fee and is open throughout the year. The best time to visit this sanctuary is during the summer and spring.

Calaway Park:

Calaway Park is Western Canada’s largest outdoor family amusement park. The park is located 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) west of the city of Calgary on the Trans-Canada Highway. The park features a variety of rides including a large log flume, the rides Chaos and Storm, and the park’s two biggest attractions is The Vortex and the Dream Machine. There are many other rides that are unique to the park.



For the shopaholic, Calgary has plenty to offer and there are several shopping malls and districts to choose from around the city. For shopping malls you have a choice of:

  • CrossIron Mills
  • Chinook Centre
  • The Core
  • Southcentre Mall
  • North hill Centre
  • Deerfoot Mall
  • Sunridge Mall
  • Market Mall

There are still plenty of  places to visit in Calgary and this list is just a simple overview of what to do in Calgary. If you have any specific questions please feel free to email or call me at: